Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1st Day of School Tradition

We decided that since Charles started school this week we needed to start/continue some family traditions. On Sunday night Charles got a Father's blessing to start the school year off. Both John and I had this tradition in our homes growing up, so it only made sense to continue it. He was very excited for Daddy to give him a blessing and made sure that he did NOT use the yucky oil on his head. Madison too wanted a blessing so John decided to give her one, especially since her life will be changing too once this baby arrives. They both did a great job sitting and listening reverently during the blessings. What a great way to start the new year!!!

My mom came over after work and went with Madison and I to pick Charles up from school. We then went to 7-11 for Slurpee's. They were so yummy especially since it was 108 degrees outside. Charles was very excited to have grandma there when he got out of school. He even asked me who would be coming with me to pick him up the next day. (Like I'm supposed to have a special visitor with me every day. Funny Kid!) Maybe Slurpee's after the 1st day of school will be a new tradition for us!

On Monday night I decided to make Charles a special 1st Day of School dinner. I asked him what he wanted and he quickly said Chicken on a Stick! (Meaning chicken on the bone, specifically drumsticks) Growing up this is one of the things I remember ALWAYS eating. As I got older I decided I didn't like picking my chicken or any meat for that matter off the bone and started refusing to eat any meat with a bone. (I have since changed a bit and do LOVE ribs.) I thought his request was quite funny but decided why not, we loved it as kids. Since I didn't plan very well I just went to Stater Bros and picked up some of their ready to eat chicken and made some rice and vegetables to go with it. And for our treat after family home evening I bought ice cream sandwiches, another one of Charles favorites! He was so excited to have a meal that he got to choose. After we were finished with dinner he was very sad to see that there was no left over chicken. He wanted to take it to school for his lunch the next day. So funny!!! I assured him that we would have it again and that seemed to make him happy. After dinner we had family night; Grandpa Anderson joined us for dinner and family night and as always the kids loved having him there. (Grandma had to go back home for an appointment she had previously scheduled so she was not able to stay for dinner and family night. Maybe next time.)

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

What a great collection of new traditions to last a lifetime. They are so special. As you still remember those school blessings, so will your little ones. Great job momma and daddy Garthe!