Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The results are IN


For those of you that don't know 4 of my dad's 5 sisters have had breast cancer. And they all have tested positive for the BRCA2 gene mutation. Meaning that they genetically have a much higher risk of getting breast and ovarian cancer due to the gene mutation. And children of people who carry the gene have a 50% chance of also getting the gene. My dad may or may not be a carrier he has not yet been tested. Two of them were diagnosed with breast cancer around the age I am now. So I talked to my OB a few months ago about my history and he suggested having the gene testing done and said that my insurance would pay for it. Hooray! So a few weeks ago I met with a genetic counselor and had my blood work done. I was supposed to go in for a follow-up appointment and to get my results yesterday but I came down with the flu. Not fun! So I had to miss my appointment. But the Doctor called me today to give me my results since we will be changing insurance come January 1st. So the results are...................................... NEGATIVE!!!! Hooray!!! This means I do NOT have an increases risk of developing breast and/or ovarian cancer and that I fall back in the same risk category as the rest of the population of women who do not have a gene mutation. Hooray!!! Finally some good news!!!
Now I just need my Realtor to call and tell me that the 1st and 2nd have come to an agreement and we can close this month and move into our house!

2 comments:

Jason said...

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is SUCH GREAT NEWS, Jessica. I know we'd talked about the possibility before, the possible need for a preemptive strike, and now you'll never have to worry about anything like that. What a great blessing!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!

Jason said...

(Btw...that was Jessica.) :)