Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bitter Sweet

Almost 3 weeks ago I was released as the Relief Society President. I've had a LOT of mixed emotions. When we got home from church 4 weeks ago there was a message on our answering machine. It was from the Stake Executive Secretary and it was for John. A member of the Stake Presidency wanted to meet with both of us. I literally laughed out loud and knew there were some big changes in store. A member of our bishopric moved out of the ward and so we all knew that there would be a replacement. Some people in our ward were speculating that the replacement would be John. But I thought for sure they would leave me as RS president since I had only been in the calling for about a year. During the hours leading up to our meeting with the Stake Presidency member we kept guessing what it would be. We both hoped that it would be a call for John to be the Ward Finance Clerk. (His ALL time favorite calling.) And we really hoped it would NOT be a call for John to serve on the High Council. (I don't think I am ready for that.) But we both sorta knew that is was for John to be called to serve in the Bishopric. And of course it was!!!!! Which meant that I would be released because of our young family. The member of the stake presidency said something that I thought was great, he said Elder Cook came to our stake several years ago and said something along these lines... Do Not make functional families Dysfunctional by overwhelming them with demanding callings. Which I thought made perfect sense, although I really wasn't ready to be released. I felt like I was finally starting to understand the program and my presidency and I were finally heading in a good direction making some great progress. But I know that the Lord has a plan for John and our family. I know that I was called for a reason, even though I did not serve very long. I have grown to LOVE the Relief Society. Something I was not very familiar with since I had not really been too involved (I served in YW and Primary all my married life until we moved to Riverside.) But I now LOVE the program and know without a doubt it is an inspired program for all Sisters. I got the chance to share my testimony with all the sisters in my ward and to get to know so very many of them as I served them. I'm not sure what the Lord has in store for me now. But I do know that John will be great!!!! And I will stand by him and cheer him on and give him all my love and support as I cling to my father in heaven for support as we move forward in this new adventure.

2 comments:

Moore Family said...

You did a wonderful job as RS president. Personally... I think they should have left well enough alone. But that's just me. We miss you in the Presidency. Thanks for all your help.

Leanna said...

I am sure a bitter sweet moment. I am happy with Elder Cook´s remarks...and what a blessing that you will be able to support your husband and family in that way!